The core function of this position is to educate readers of The Western Journal about current events and issues and how they may affect their lives. This includes writing a number of pre-packaged commentary stories and/or news stories each day and occasionally pitching and packaging compelling story ideas. Additional duties will involve working with staff writers and editors to conduct general research for articles or series of articles during the writing process.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual with very strong attention to detail, a passion for the truth and a meticulous approach to work. We want people who are passionate about what we stand for. The story and values and mission of Liftable Media Inc. may be found on our about page. The Ethics and Editorial Standards for The Western Journal, which this individual will be responsible for knowing and adhering closely to, may be found here.
Onboarding for this position will occur on a Monday through Friday schedule. After that, the schedule may change to cover one or both weekend days. Some additional coverage of special events outside of normal work hours may be required. Examples could be the president’s annual State of the Union address, news conferences, election coverage, etc.
This position reports directly to the supervising reporter.
- Write a minimum of 30 engaging news, commentary and/or special report articles each week, each a minimum of 350 words
- Accept and complete story assignments, commentary or news, assigned by the supervising reporter and assignment staff
- Handle information responsibly
- Fact check ages, dates, historical events, locations, names of businesses and groups, numbers, personal quotes and attribution, titles and all other factual claims
- Review statistics, including charts and graphs, used in articles
- Participate in brainstorming and other collaborative meetings
- Conduct research into newsworthy subjects as directed by the editorial staff
- Assist in maintaining the editorial calendar
- Understand and abide by The Western Journal’s Ethics and Editorial Standards
- Work with the managing editor to issue corrections and clarifications as necessary
- Represent The Western Journal professionally in all instances, including in audio and video interviews as required
- Other duties as assigned by the managing editor
- No vaccination requirement
- 3-5 years of relevant newsroom experience
- A bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English, Government or Political Science (preferred)
- Very strong written English skills, including good spelling and grammar
- Good investigative and critical thinking skills
- Good networking skills
- Disciplined ability to work to deadlines and strong work ethic
- A meticulous approach to work and an eye for detail
- The ability to maintain high-quality work while meeting tight deadlines
- Strong communication skills and a proven ability to collaborate
- The ability to adapt to shifting priorities, demands, and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities
- Familiarity with online content management tools (WordPress or basic HTML) a plus
- Familiarity with The Associated Press Stylebook
- Ability to work some weekends and evenings as necessary
- Understanding of the values and the mission of Liftable Media, Inc. and willing to promote and uphold these both at work and with potential partners, readers, and subscribers
We value company culture and hold it to a high standard. For this reason, we try to make work a fun, relaxed, and highly productive environment. Therefore, we offer the following benefits:
- Healthcare, dental, and vision plans available for full-time employees
- Flexible PTO for full-time employees
- Volunteer PTO for full-time employees
- 401k + company match for full-time employees
- Modern 30,000 sq. ft. building with employee lounge, game room, library and gym
- Casual work environment
- Walking distance to Anthem businesses and restaurants
- Monthly catered lunch for the office
Please mention that you found this job from SearchRight when submitting an application. We’d also love for you to send us a message if you apply. This helps our efforts with building relationships and making the job search better for candidates. Thank You
About The Western Journal
The Western Journal is a news company that drives positive cultural change by equipping readers with truth.
As Americans — and indeed, readers around the world — continue to lose trust in traditional newspapers and broadcast networks and their claims of objectivity and impartiality, The Western Journal is rapidly filling the gap as a trusted source of news and information. The Western Journal is staffed by an experienced team of editors, journalists and media experts who both recognize the stories that matter to everyday readers and provide a truthful and unfiltered view of current events.