Hillsdale College’s Prospect Research team is expanding in order to support the growth of our Institutional Advancement Department. The Prospect Research Specialist will work remotely and will report directly to the Director of Research and Prospect Management.
The Prospect Research Specialist serves as a strategic partner for frontline fundraising staff, providing donor identification and donor research support.
- Prepares profiles for Development Staff for events and meetings, with emphasis on constituents’ wealth, interests (including philanthropic interests) and relationships.
- Conduct both proactive and reactive research using a variety of resources including the Internet, online services/databases, industry standard business and biographical directories, periodicals, electronic screening software, and other published materials.
- Initiate contact with and respond to requests from development staff, adhering to deadlines and maintaining positive, productive relationships.
- Assess capacity, interests, philanthropy, and relationships to identify and qualify new prospective donors and assess new opportunities with existing donors, through the following avenues:
- Research on prospective donors suggested by staff and volunteers.
- Searching Foundation Directory Online and keeping up with the Chronicle of Philanthropy.
- In-house database and outside vendor wealth screenings.
- Participates in advancing Hillsdale College’s goals and mission.
- Uphold all prospect research professional standards and expectations.
- Maintain and update individual biographical, financial, business, and relationship information in the Hillsdale College database.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty mentioned satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education & Experience
A Bachelor’s degree required. At least 2-3 years of experience in Prospect Research, including experience with targeted Google searches, iWave, Donorscape, Foundation Directory Online, and other common sources.
- Experience with Blackbaud ResearchPoint, Raiser’s Edge, and Blackbaud CRM a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to peruse large volumes of information, find the details relevant to fundraising, present findings and recommendations clearly, concisely, and accurately a must.
- Candidate must be a self-starter, well-organized, and able to plan and execute projects from conception to completion.
- Superior organizational, project management, and analytical skills.
- Honesty and trustworthiness as well as strong interpersonal skills and a sense of humor.
- The ability to work independently as well as collaborate with Prospect Research teammates and work with frontline staff in a team-oriented approach.
- The ability to sensitively deal with confidential information.
The Office of Institutional Advancement interacts with College staff, students and alumni. A clean and neat appearance and a pleasant relationship that is supportive of the College mission is essential. This relationship needs to be pleasant, supportive and professional, while maintaining confidentiality as needed.
Code of Commitment
Be a good representative of Hillsdale College to promote the liberal arts, the College’s original Articles of Association and operating principles stated in the Staff Code of Commitment. The Mission Statement should be considered in all aspects of the position. The teaching of Christian faith shall remain a conspicuous aim of the College.
Please mention that you found this job from SearchRight when submitting an application. We’d also love for you to send us a message if you apply. This helps our efforts with building relationships and making the job search better for candidates. Thank You
About Hillsdale College
Hillsdale College is a small, Christian, classical liberal arts college in southern Michigan that operates independently of government funding. Our students represent each of the fifty states and more than a dozen foreign countries, and drawn to the challenge of a Hillsdale education, they grow in heart and mind by studying timeless truths in a supportive community dedicated to the highest things.